Handicapped Parking Plates Tags by State (updated)

Caregivers often provide transportation to doctor’s offices, grocery stores, pharmacies and the like. When a parent has difficulty walking even short distances, a driver without a handicapped card, or tag, is often faced with dropping them off at the curb, parking the car and then running into the building in order to catch up. For these situations, handicapped parking privileges can be often granted to caregivers when transporting eligible persons.

Every state offers either disabled parking cards, or plates, or both. While the requirements vary by state, they are very similar. While not in every case, it often requires a doctor’s letter.

To give you an idea of what they typically require, we’re posting Wisconsin’s basic requirements below:

  • Cannot walk 200 feet or more without stopping to rest;
  • Cannot walk without the use of, or assistance from, another person or brace, cane, crutch, prosthetic device, wheelchair or other assistance device;
  • Is restricted by lung disease to the extent that forced expiratory volume for 1 second when measured by spirometry is less than one liter or the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 mm/hg on room air at rest;
  • Uses portable oxygen;
  • Has a cardiac condition to the extent that functional limitations are classified in severity as class III or IV, according to standards accepted by the American Heart Association;
  • Is severely limited in the ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition;

We’ve included links to each state so you can check the specific requirements. The links either take you to an application form, which typically include the requirements, or to their department of transportation page which discusses the application requirements. Links to Acrobat documents are noted with ‘PDF’: